It was gratifying to hear what Bonnie Raitt’s peers had to say about her. I hold the deepest respect for her. What she has accomplished personally and musically is monumental by any standard. She is the grand old lady of the blues now. Well, she is not that old, like the grizzled old bluesmen of yesteryear. Raitt is in a league all by herself, and obviously, she has made tremendous strides for woman getting the respect they deserve in the music industry.
The odds were against her when she got started, but being the smart cookie she is, Raitt decided to go on a blues soul-searching mission to learn and play with all the masters. She learned her lessons well. Since she first hit the scene, her recordings have been critically acclaimed and it certainly does not look like there is any end in sight.
Bonnie Raitt And Friends – Decades Rock Live is a double shot of vintage Riatt with a guest list anyone would envy. When asked whom she would want to play with at a live event, she submitted her list, and lo and behold, everyone said yes. This came as a surprise to her because of her humble and respectful attitude toward her contemporaries in the industry. Everyone was honored to be on the same stage as Bonnie, and if you watch the DVD portion of this set, you can see how the interaction fosters a mutual feeling of warmth and appreciation from everyone. It all comes pouring out of the lady's soul through every track.
Keb' Mo', Alison Krause, Ben Harper, Norah Jones, and Jon Cleary lend their special talents to the mix and it proves to be a workable configuration for each guest. Raitt is all aglow with pride and positive energy in this performance. This DVD is one of the best concert videos I have ever witnessed. I say that without a doubting bone in my body. Everything about it rates five stars. The production, sound, and camera work are extraordinary, and the stage setting fits each number beautifully. The CD is excellent as well, a fine warm up to your front row seat that the DVD provides. The DVD offers five more tracks than the CD, including personal interviews with all of Bonnie’s guests and a nice talk with the lady of the evening herself.
This is a great follow up to the critically acclaimed Souls Alike, Riatt’s latest studio triumph.
August 31, 2006
CD TRACK LIST:
2. Unnecessarily Mercenary (featuring Jon Cleary)
3. I Will Not Be Broken
4. God Was In The Water
5. Gnawin’ On It
6. You (featuring Alison Krauss)
7. Love Letter (featuring Keb’ Mo’)
8. Two Lights In The Nighttime (featuring Ben Harper)
9. Well, Well, Well (featuring Ben Harper)
10. Something To Talk About
11. I Don't Want Anything To Change (featuring Norah Jones)
DVD Track Listing:
1. Unnecessarily Mercenary (featuring Jon Cleary)
2. I Will Not Be Broken
3. God Was In The Water
4. Gnawin' On It
5. You (featuring Alison Krauss)
6. Papa Come Quick (featuring Alison Krauss)
7. No Gettin' Over You (featuring Keb’ Mo’)
8. Love Letter (featuring Keb’ Mo’)
9. Crooked Crown
11. Two Lights In The Nighttime (featuring Ben Harper)
12. Well, Well, Well (featuring Ben Harper)
13. Something To Talk About
14. Hear Me Lord
15. I Don't Want Anything To Change (featuring Norah Jones)
16. Tennessee Waltz (featuring Norah Jones)
17. Love Sneakin' Up On You (featuring All Special Guests)