The Republican right wing are great corruptors of the truth. Their talking points have already been published. They are all over the airwaves, the blogosphere, the websites, and newspapers with a consistent message. It is imperative that bloggers, liberal or otherwise, do not allow their false talking points to metastasize into the public’s psyche. Each mis-statement, lie, or truth twisting must be addressed immediately with documented facts.
Irv Lewis “Scooter” Libby, Vice President Dick Cheney’s chief of staff, was indicted yesterday on five counts in the investigation concerning the illegal outing of Valerie Plame, a covert CIA agent. The counts include obstruction of justice, lying to the FBI, and perjury.
The reason for the outing of the CIA agent was twofold. The first was a misleading attempt to discredit Joe Wilson, Ms. Plame’s husband for his statements against the Iraq war and his subsequent New York Times Article stating that his trip to Niger found no evidence of Iraq’s purchase of uranium. This would remove a major justification for any preemptive war with Iraq. The second reason for the outing seemed to be punitive. It would ensure that critics understand that any measures would be used against dissention. Judging from the behavior of the press, and most mainstream organizations, this “communist/Stalinist” behavior was successful as everyone feared confronting the Bush administration significantly on any issue whether it be the Iraq war, the Patriot Act, irresponsible tax cuts and more.
Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson, Newt Gingrich, Bill Bennett, and many other Right Wing hacks have been using the following talking points. It is imperative that they be refuted continuously. Unfortunately if falsehoods are repeated without being countered by truths, most Americans tend to accept it as true fact.
- RNC Talking Point: Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald is creating the “criminalization of politics”.
- Truth: This investigation and indictment has nothing to do with politics. It is about the illegal outing of CIA agents, and subsequently the lying to FBI agents, perjury, and obstruction of justice.
- RNC Talking Point: There was no indictment on outing of CIA agent so there was no original crime.
- Truth: The reason perjury and obstruction of justice is such a major crime is that one cannot find the underlying crime if the investigation is stymied by said crimes.
- RNC Talking Point: Senate commission confirmed that Joe Wilson’s article was a lie or never accepted.
- Truth: This is an utterly false statement. Read here for more background.
- RNC Talking Point: Valerie Plame sent her husband Joe Wilson to Niger to research the uranium claim which opened her to scrutiny.
- Truth: The statement is patently misleading and is simply used to change the conversation. Read here for more background.
- RNC Talking Point: Valerie Wilson was not really a covert agent/spy and many already new what she did.
- Truth: The FBI up until yesterday could not find anyone who knew what she did prior to Novak’s column. Read here for more background.