For the past week or so, I have been really in the mood for root beer. I’m not sure if it’s the sudden onset of summer (or lack thereof!), but it just seems like the time is right to be drinking root beer.
Living here in Milwaukee means we are lucky to have lots of breweries. Several smaller breweries in the area make wicked root beer that is so good it makes you want to pass on the beer!
Two of my local favorites: Sprecher’s Root Beer, and Lakefront Brewery’s Golden Maple Root Beer. Both varieties are full of flavor, unique in their own way, and delicious whether had alone or in a recipe containing root beer!
This afternoon, I made root beer cupcakes, and I am happy to share the recipe here, however making them inspired me to think of some other great recipe ideas for root beer. Feel free to search these and find what you come up with!
Next time, why don’t you try root beer in your recipes for:
- Meat marinade
- BBQ sauce
- Bread (instead of beer bread!)
- Sugar cookies
- Ice cream
And, if you’re really adventurous you can even try to make your own root beer!
To get you started, here is the recipe I used to make the root beer cupcakes today. The frosting recipe here is one I’ve used in the past, slightly adapted, as the frosting recipe I used today on these babies was kind of a pain!!
Root Beer Cupcakes
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1-1/4 cups root beer (wait for foam to go down so it is the full amount after the foam!)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Combine above ingredients until well mixed.
- Spoon into 24 cupcake tins lined with cupcake liners, filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake 18-24 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool while you prepare frosting.
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup root beer
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine frosting ingredients until smooth.
- Frost or pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
I used some crushed up root beer barrel candies to garnish these. I have also seen them topped with vanilla ice cream! Cute and delicious!Powered by Sidelines