One of the things I love doing most for birthdays is making a special dessert for the birthday boy or girl. I’ve made everything from a Blue’s Clues cake to Jaws-like shark cupcakes. But when my husband recently turned 29 for the tenth year in a row, I wanted to make his favorite dessert, key lime pie.
I scoured the Internet and found this key lime pie recipe from Allrecipes.com. I paired it with a homemade graham cracker crust and freshly whipped cream. Topped with a slice of lime, it was beautiful…and a huge it! If you have a key lime pie fan in the family, I highly recommend trying this recipe. It was super easy and super delicious. Enjoy!
Favorite Key Lime Pie
Graham Cracker Crust
1 1/2 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup white sugar
6 T butter, melted
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional–I didn’t add it in this recipe)
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, melted butter and cinnamon until well blended.
- Press mixture into an 8- or 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 7 minutes. Cool.
3 cups sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup key lime juice
1 T grated lime zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and lime rind. Mix well and pour into graham cracker crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 8 minutes until tiny pinhole bubbles burst of the surface of pie. DO NOT brown!
- Chill pie thoroughly before serving. Garnish with whipped cream (recipe below) and lime slices.
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 T confectioners’ sugar*
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Using chilled beaters and a chilled small mixing bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken.
- Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form.
- Store in refrigerator.
* I used closer to 1/4 to 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar.