I considered skipping this week's look at the iTunes charts because they were just so damn depressing. I summoned the strength to go on because, well, what did I really expect?
It's all Black Eyed Peas this week. I can't understand it. I refuse to accept it. I laugh bitterly when record executives complain about people stealing music and declining sales, convinced it is charts like this that explain why people won't pay for music. Okay, so people actually did pay for this stuff at iTunes and that's how it got to the top of the charts. That actually depresses me more than people stealing it.
So, the Black Eyed Peas have the top two singles on the iTunes Music Store singles chart. Sean Kingston's "Fire Burning" continues to be a popular download and so do the two Lady GaGa singles. It turns out I could have known something more about Lady GaGa when I started this feature series if I'd read Clayton Perry's interview with her for Blogcritics. Love her? Hate her? Find out what she has to say about her music.
The only rock song in the Top 10 is Shinedown's "Second Chance." The more I think about that song, the angrier I get. That song is too dumb for Meatloaf! Even he would have passed on it if it had been offered to him.
1. "I Gotta Feeling," Black Eyed Peas
2. "Boom Boom Pow," Black Eyed Peas
3. "Fire Burning," Sean Kingston
4. "LoveGame," Lady GaGa
5. "I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho, More English Extended Mix)," Pitbull
6. "Waking Up In Vegas," Katy Perry
7. "Knock You Down," Keri Hilson, Ne-Yo, Kanye West
8. "Second Chance," Shinedown
9. "Goodbye," Kristinia DeBarge
10. "Poker Face," Lady GaGa
The album chart is also topped by Black Eyed Peas, knocking Dave Matthews Band's Big Whiskey down one slot from it's #1 debut last week. Supergroup Chickenfoot remains in the Top 10 for a second straight week, as well (be sure to check out Mark Saleski's review of Big Whiskey and General Jabbo's review of Chickenfoot, both here at Blogcritics). Kings of Leon continue to sell strong on the album front without the benefit of a big selling single on the iTunes charts. Former #1 Relapse from Eminem is still in the Top 10 as is Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown.
It was a pretty good week this week for new releases and there was a new album from Jonas Brothers, so we'll have to see if any of this week's albums get bumped next week. It will also be interesting to see if Taylor Swift's big win at the CMT Awards moves her album further up the charts.
1. The E.N.D. (The Energy Never Dies) – Black Eyed Peas
2. Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King – Dave Matthews Band
3. The Ecstatic – Mos Def
4. Only By the Night – Kings of Leon
5. Chickenfoot – Chickenfoot
6. Relapse – Eminem
7. The Fame – Lady GaGa
8. Twilight (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) – Various Artists
9. 21st Century Breakdown – Green Day
10. Fearless – Taylor SwiftPowered by Sidelines