Growing up Easter always involved new spring outfits, jaunty hats, church, hard boiled eggs, and brunch. Now that I’m all grown up I’ve added my own spin onto our family classic with this quick and easy vegetarian egg bake.
The best thing about this dish is that you can prepare it the night before and come brunch time on Easter Sunday you just pop it in the oven, leaving you plenty of time to search for those missing Easter eggs. This dish’s fluffy eggs and subtle kick of spice from the sausage is guaranteed be a crowd pleaser.
Easter Brunch Vegetarian Sausage Egg Bake
4 Slices of bread
1 – 12oz. package of meatless sausage crumbles
2 Cups – shredded cheese (I like to use a Mexican 4 cheese blend)
2 Cups Milk
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Pepper
– Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish
– Cube bread and spread evenly on the bottom of the baking dish
– In a medium bowl whisk together Eggs, Milk, Salt, and Pepper*
– Pour Egg mixture over bread in the baking dish
– Mix the meatless sausage into your egg and bread mixture
– Sprinkle your 2 cups of cheese on the top of your mixture
– Bake uncovered for 45 minutes (or until set) at 325°
– Makes 8 to 10 servings
If you choose to prepare this the night before be sure to let the dish sit out for 15 minutes before baking, to allow it to come up to room temperature.
What’s great about this dish is it allows you to play with your creativity! If you don’t like sausage why not replace it with spinach and feta cheese, or mushroom and onions, or better yet asparagus and Swiss cheese.
*Why whisk? Whisking mixes the ingredients together thoroughly and introduces air into the mixture so that when it bakes you get light and fluffy eggs instead of dense heavy eggs.Powered by Sidelines