Iron Maiden, back in the Top 10. What the #@&* happened to this world? I’m not saying it’s a bad thing – I’m indifferent on the subject – but it something I never dreamed I’d see. The idea of new music from Iron Maiden was crazy enough but seeing it hit the Top 10 on the iTunes Albums Chart? Priceless. Crazy. Unexpected.
I know it’s bad writing form to begin an article in the middle but I couldn’t think of any other way to start this look at the top selling albums and singles at the iTunes Music Store than with Iron Maiden’s improbably Top 10 debut. So now that we’re all on the same page regards to what we’re discussing here, let’s take a look at the rest of the charts.
It’s nothing new for dead musicians to have posthumous success. It’s also become modestly common place for incarcerated artists to have chart success. Jailed rapper Lil Wayne has the #1 single at iTunes this week, edging out Katy Perry’s “Teenage Dream.” Eminem had been #1 on both the singles and albums charts the past few weeks but his “Love The Way You Lie” drops to the #4 single but maintains his hold as #1 album.
Falling behind Eminem’s Recovery is the latest from Ray LaMontagne God Willin’ & The Creek Don’t Rise and the iTunes live session from country-pop stars Lady Antebellum. The momentum of their iTunes session also helped their Need You Now album to return to the Top 10. Arcade Fire, Maroon 5, and David Gray also placed in the album charts.
Iron Maiden. Back in the charts. I can still be surprised.
iTunes’ top 10 selling singles of the week ending Aug. 23, 2010:
- “Right Above It (feat. Drake)” – Lil Wayne
- “Teenage Dream” – Katy Perry
- “Dynamite” – Taio Cruz
- “Love the Way You Lie” – Eminem
- “I Like It” – Enrique Iglesias
- “Just the Way You Are” – Bruno Mars
- “Just a Dream” – Nelly
- “DJ Got Us Fallin’ In Love” – Usher
- “Magic (feat. Rivers Cuomo)” – B.o.B
- “Cooler Than Me” – Mike Posner
iTunes’ top 10 selling albums of the week ending Aug. 23, 2010:
- Recovery – Eminem
- God Willin’ & the Creek Don’t Rise – Ray LaMontagne
- iTunes Session – Lady Antebellum
- The Suburbs – Arcade Fire
- Foundling – David Gray
- Sigh No More – Mumford & Sons
- Need You Now – Lady Antebellum
- Hands All Over – Maroon 5
- Intimacy – Kem
- The Final Frontier – Iron Maiden