Innovation is all around us and impacts just about every aspect of our lives. In today’s digital, technology-empowered world the pace of innovation is ever increasing. Concurrently, the performance bar is also being raised in everything from product development, service delivery, creativity, design, and workplace management. It is very easy to get swept away by the technology of innovation—it can be amazing. So, it is very important to constantly remind ourselves that the essence of innovation still lies with people and their passion for ideas and discovery. And this week I am very lucky to be surrounded by some of the most innovative and passionate people in the world. How good is that!
A Collaborative Innovation Summit
The World Innovation Forum 2011 is being held in New York City this week and I am honored to be one of about 50 people designated as “some the very best business bloggers” embedded right in the middle of all the action. The World Innovation Forum brings together ideas and insights from a unique group of experts and practitioners offering their personal perspectives on how innovation is being implemented across an array of different fields. This is a powerhouse group of innovators including one of my all time favorite big thinkers and innovators Tony Hsieh, CEO of Zappos.
Listening “Softer” To See Deeper
As an asset-based thinker I’ll be looking at how speakers tell their stories about unleashing their personal power and innovative spirit, how they persevere by seeing threats as challenges, turn shortcomings into aspirations, and leverage collaboration versus competition. Learning how these asset based approaches have helped motivate and leverage the power and promise of innovation in the past can serve as invaluable guideposts for the future.
Another great opportunity at this event will be listening to the buzz and chatter of the businessmen, academics, and innovators in the audience, observing their body language and feeling their enthusiasm. There will also be a Bloggers Hub complete with high speed internet access, cloud resources, and all the electronic bells and whistles we’ll need to report live from the conference.
Positive Social Media Amps Up Engagement
The event organizers, HSM, get a big Asset-Based Thinking shout-out for creating the Bloggers Hub, a unique feature at the event. It is a state-of-the-art resource placed right in the middle of the action that provides the featured bloggers with full access to everything happening at the event—upfront and behind the scenes. The bloggers hub is a very smart communication idea for conferences, with some great “ABT” benefits.
• Facilitates a friendly, open platform for bloggers to provide real time updates, commentary, and coverage of the speeches of some very smart and influential leaders.
• Serves as a micro-community of a diverse group of bloggers to connect around a common interest…live reporting and disseminating information of significance…what I call “Content of Consequence.”
• Creates an environment of mutually supportive and connected energy that feeds on itself. A special “vibe” that brings a new collective dynamic to a usually solitary writing process.
• Provides a “streaming commentary” on topics and discussions as they happen and invites real time response and interaction from each blogger’s audience which we in turn can use as fuel for our reporting.
• Links a network of “Trust Agents” and enables their power to apply leverage to issues and opportunities. Chris Brogan (@chrisbrogan) describes this as the “Archimedes Effect” in his book entitled ( of course) Trust Agents.
Stay tuned. More to come.Powered by Sidelines