Giant loaves of soft, delicate, made-from-scratch sandwich bread. Half whole wheat and half all-purpose flour blend to create a healthy, delicious slice of bread, ready for sandwiches or toasting with your favorite nut spread and banana in the morning.
The smell of bread baking fills the entire home with such a warm, immeasurably comforting feeling that you’ll want to instantly slice into this loaf. But don’t! Let it cool completely so it sets properly and finishes baking. Hope you love this as much as we do. Enjoy!
Homemade Sandwich Bread
Yields 1 loaf
1 cup + 1 tablespoon warm water (110-115 degrees F)
2 tablespoons oil
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 package (2 teaspoons) active dry yeast
1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; stir.
2. Add yeast then flours, and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10-15 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with a clean towel and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
3. Punch dough down; knead for a few minutes until smooth and then form into a loaf. Place in greased loaf pan and cover. Let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. If loaf starts browning too soon, lightly lay a piece of foil on top of the loaf to prevent too much darkening.
5. Remove bread from oven and allow to rest in pan for five minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.