The Florida panther isn't just the mascot of a professional sports team, it's also a majestic and beautiful animal (but don't let one overhear you say this, it'll go straight to his head). In the wild and in captivity, Florida panthers can sometimes be spotted by natives and tourists journeying through this Southern state. You may be lucky enough to see one, waving foolishly until you notice the cat won't wave back, when it hits you: how much do you really know about these panthers? Take our quiz to find out.
1. What are one of the things that make the Florida panther stand out?
a. It is the biggest feline in the world
b. It is the only feline native to the United States
c. It is critically endangered
d. It had a role in the Pink Panther movies
2. Roughly how much does the average male Florida panther weigh?
a. 150 pounds
b. 100 pounds
c. 210 pounds
d. He prefers not to answer this question
3. To what genus does the Florida panther belong?
d. Homo Sapiens
4. What is the greatest threat to the survival of the Florida panthers?
c. Loss of habitat
d. Overused litter boxes
5. In 1982, the panther became the state animal of Florida. Who was behind this vote?
a. Florida school children
b. The mayor of Miami
c. The governor of Florida
d. The panthers wrote themselves on the ballot
6. What do Florida panthers generally eat?
a. Just meat
b. Just plants
c. An equal balance of both plant and meat
d. They order pizza
7. Roughly how many adult panthers are there in Florida?
a. Between 50 and 70
b. Between 100 and 200
c. Between 200 and 400
d. Just one. His name is Bob.
8. How many kittens are in the average Florida panther litter?
d. Panthers don't have kittens, they only lay eggs.
9. How do Florida panthers hunt?
a. In packs
b. In pairs
d. With guns
10. What is the scientific name of the Florida panther?
a. Panthera leo
b. Puma concolor coryi
c. Panthera tigris
d. Kitty Cat
Answers: 1. c. It is critically endangered; 2. a. 150 pounds; 3. c. Puma; 4. c. Loss of habitat; 5. a. Florida school children; 6. a. Just meat; 7. a. Between 50 and 70; 8. b. Two; 9. c. Alone; 10. b. Puma concolor coryi.
See how you did:
9-10 Correct: Very good. You are the cat's meow.
6-8 Correct: Not bad, you earned nine lives.
3-5 Correct: Hmm… about average. No meow mix for you.
Less than 3: Ouch. Maybe you're just more of a dog person?