It’s a double shot o’ Eminem this week as the rap star has the #1 single and album on the iTunes Chart Watch this week. Em actually has two singles in the Top 10 with “Not Afraid” coming in at #9. Enrique Iglesias hasn’t been heard from in awhile, musically speaking, but his new single has landed him in the Top 5 this week.
Elsewhere we have Big Boi’s solo record making a good showing of it, coming in at #2 followed by the Eclipse soundtrack. Drake and Jack Johnson both continue to fly high as well.
The two shocking developments this week happen a little further down the albums chart.
Incubus frontman Brandon Boyd has opted to step out on his own, offering up his first solo album. These are always interesting to me, these solo albums from lead singers of successful bands. Mick Jagger has been a critical and commercial roller coaster as a solo artist. Scott Stapp’s solo career went so well he had to kiss and make up with Creed. Vince Neil took more than 15 years between solo albums and his most recent is a covers album. Rob Thomas of matchbox 20 has been commercially successful on his own and with his band as was Phil Collins in the ’80s with or without Genesis. Boyd’s record doesn’t street until next week so his Top 5 ranking this week is based on pre-orders. How will people react once they can hear the album? We shall see.
What surprised me more than seeing Boyd’s upcoming solo record chart so high in advance of its release is Daughtry’s B-sides album landing in the Top 10. For starters, I thought the days of “b-sides” were about over. I’d love it if this relic of the vinyl singles era and later with the CD singles remained part of music commerce. Unfortunately, the B-sides in question are from Chris Daughtry. Are rock fans so lost that Daughtry’s leftovers interest them more than good songs from better bands?
iTunes’ top 10 selling singles of the week ending July 12, 2010:
- “Love the Way You Lie” – Eminem
- “California Gurls (feat. Snoop Dogg)” – Katy Perry
- “Dynamite” – Taio Cruz
- “I Like It” – Enrique Iglesias
- “Airplanes (feat. Hayley Williams of Paramore)” – B.o.B.
- “Billionaire (feat. Bruno Mars)” – Travie McCoy
- “Cooler Than Me” – Mike Posner
- “Ridin’ Solo” – Jason Derulo
- “Not Afraid” – Eminem
- “OMG (feat. will.i.am)” – Usher
iTunes’ top 10 selling albums of the week ending July 12, 2010:
- Recovery – Eminem
- Sir Lucious Left Foot … The Son of Chico Dusty – Big Boi
- The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) – Various Artists
- Thank Me Later – Drake
- The Wild Trapeze – Brandon Boyd
- To the Sea – Jack Johnson
- Aphrodite – Kylie Minogue
- The Fame – Lady GaGa
- Euphoria – Enrique Iglesias
- Leave This Town: The B-Sides – Daughtry