This week has a nice mix of television and film releases, some good, some bad, some mere curiosities. The mix was such that I could not choose just one for this week. At first it seemed as if my choice would be clear, but that was not to be as I got further down the new release list.
The first pick for this week is the video game adaptation, Silent Hill. There seemed to be a wide variety of opinions regarding this one — I fell way to the side of liking it. Sure, the dialog was laughable, but this was one creepy movie. Rather than rely on the jump scare, like so many horror films today do, it builds up an atmosphere of dread. You never know just what to expect around the corner. This is one to turn on, turn off the lights, and get caught up in the atmosphere.
The second pick is a television title, Veronica Mars: The Complete Second Season. This show just keeps getting better, despite how few of you are actually watching it. There is no time like the present to get caught up in the mystery, with season three right around the corner. Kristen Bell stars as the title character, combining Nancy Drew's sleuthing skills and Buffy Summers' attitude and drive.
The second season revolved around the mystery of a bus crash that took the lives of a number of classmates, and should have included her. The mystery goes a lot deeper than one would think, and along the way picks up some threads opened during season one. This is a wonderful show with excellent acting, great stories, and is very involving. So, go out, get this, love it, get season one, love it, and get ready for season three on the new CW network.
Also out this week:
- Black Label Society: The European Invasion – Doom Troopin'. I am in the midst of viewing this two disk set, and is a must for any BLS fan, or anyone who loves screaming guitars; it is a phenomenal concert.
- Double Indemnity. Never seen this film before, but it is a well-regarded example of film noir, one of the best, even.
- Film Geek. Sounds like a good time: socially inept clerk gets fired, only to become an Internet sensation as a film critic. If only I could be so lucky.
- House: Season Two. One of the best shows of recent years, and here is the excellent second season.
- Invasion: The Complete Series. This show was alternatingly intriguing and frustrating. Now this will be the only way to see it, as it has been canceled.
- Just My Luck. Lindsay Lohan looks to play a more adult role, and I hear it wasn't that good.
- Phat Girlz. Mo'nique stars in a film with a good message, but not so good in the execution.
- Poseidon. Moderately entertaining remake, but it was a bit too much like watching a video game.
- Threshold: The Complete Series. Short lived series about an alien invasion. I really enjoyed this series, I wish it lasted longer. It starred Carla Gugino and Peter Dinklage.
- Tromeo and Juliet: 10th Anniversary Edition. Troma's take on the Shakespeare classic, with suitably trashy results.
What are you getting?Powered by Sidelines