This week’s pick isn’t a movie; rather it is a television season. I chose not to go with the high profile releases, but something of which I have been a fan for years. This weeks pick is Scrubs: Season Three.
Those of you who don’t watch this show should and those of you who do watch it know when I am talking about how fantastic this series really is. The show has the perfect mix of slapstick comedy, wordplay, and emotional drama, all the while never being consumed by it. We have all seen sitcoms that try to introduce some level of drama – immediately, whatever was funny about it gets sucked out and we lose the reason we fell in love with it in the first place (think of Friends, Frasier, and Will & Grace). We have also seen shows that fall into the world of slapstick, similarly losing touch with what it once was (see Malcolm in the Middle). Scrubs has mastered the balance of being really funny and being emotionally poignant at the same time. They’ve kept it up for five seasons now.
The cast has developed some great comic timing. In particular, John C. McGinley is absolutely hilarious and has succeeded at keeping his shtick from getting old. Likewise, Neil Flynn, as the Janitor, has developed some great skills in sarcastic deadpan humor. Of course, there is Zach Braff, who is equally adept at slapstick and touching emotion.
This is a series that has kept on rolling through the years. It is definitely a show to check out, if you haven’t already.
Also out this week:
- Big Momma’s House 2. Eh, I know people are interested in this, I’m not one of them.
- Cowboy Bebop Remix Volume 5. Greatest anime series ever continues it’s A/V upgrade.
- Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist: Season 1. I vaguely remember this series based on Jonathan Katz’ comedy and featuring many standup comics as his patients.
- Grandma’s Boy. This lasted what, one weekend in the theaters? Available in rated and unrated flavors.
- Masters of Horror: Don Coscarelli – Incident On and Off a Mountain Road. This was an excellent episode. Rather creepy, and features Angus Scrimm.
- Masters of Horror: Mick Garris – Chocolate. Haven’t seen this episode yet, but I haven’t been disappointed yet.
- Munich. Spielberg’s latest, and one of his best. Available in 1 and 2 disk editions. The single disk has no extras, choose wisely.
- Nanny McPhee. This was a well reviewed family film, but I haven’t seen it yet. To be honest, it didn’t really look my speed.
- New World. The latest epic from director Terence Malick. It stars Colin Farrell as John Smith. I have heard good things about it.
- The Poseidon Adventure: Special Edition. Just in time to help promote the remake comes this re-release of the original.
- Rescue Me: The Complete Second Season. Just in time for the start of season three, comes this absolutely fantastic season for the Dennis Leary created series.
- Ronin: Collector’s Edition. This has some of the best car chases ever filmed, now it has its own special edition set.
- Rumor Has It… This Jennifer Aniston/Kevin Costner film had some decent reviews last year, but doesn’t excite me all that much.
What are you getting this week?