I know, Wedding Crashers would have been the easier pick this week, but when have I ever taken the easy route? On second thought, don’t answer that. Rather than taking the popular route, I have chosen a film that never got a wide release yet spins an interesting tale and features another good performance from the current phase of Bill Murray’s career. The movie is Broken Flowers.
Bill Murray stars as a man who loves his single lifestyle. One day, his girlfriend leaves him. At the same time he receives a mysterious letter. The letter is not signed and there is no return address, but it says that he may have a son who is looking for him. This letter brings about something of a crisis in his life and cause him to reexamine his past relationships. He then sets out to find his past loves in an attempt to locate this son himself.
Jim Jarmusch directed this delightful little film. His pacing is slow and methodical, and it works perfectly with the material. Broken Flowers sneaks up on you and draws you in. This is definitely not to be missed.
Also coming out this week:
- Alien Nation: The Complete Series. Since I didn’t catch this series when it was on, this could be a good chance to catch up on it.
- All in the Family: The Complete Fifth Season. One of the greatest televised comedies of all time.
- The Cave. This is here so that I may warn you. Do not see this movie.
- Dumb and Dumber: Unrated. Not sure what is different in this version, but I always thought this was crazy fun.
- Wedding Crashers. One of the funniest comedies of the year. This movie was a complete surprise. It is available in rated and unrated editions.
That is all. Rather slim for the first week of the new year.Powered by Sidelines