There are some good releases due this week, but like every week before it, one stands above the rest. This week’s must have is Sin City: Recut, Extended, Unrated. It was already my favorite movie of the year, this is just icing on the cake.
The original cut of the film clocked in at 124 minutes, this new version increases by over 20 minutes to 147. The three books, which comprise this adaptation, were filmed in their entirety, but due to length, the entire story did not make it to the big screen. This release will allow us to see the complete tale. Not only that, but we will be able to view each of the stories separately.
On top of the new cut, this set also features a veritable cornucopia of features on the making of the film. Included is an uncut 17 minute take of Quentin Tarantino’s scene contribution, this should be pretty interesting. There are also a pair of commentary tracks and a new cooking school with Robert Rodriguez.
I cannot praise this film enough. It has a wonderful ensemble cast and more style than you can shake a stick at. It has been at the top of my list since I saw it, and I doubt that it will be unseated.
Also out this week:
- The 40 Year Old Virgin. This was a very funny movie, and helped showcase the newly discovered talent of Steve Carell. This movie made it to AFI’s Best of 2005 list.
- Airplane: The “Don’t Call Me Shirley” Edition. New transfer and a few new extras highlight this new release of the classic spoof.
- Bad News Bears (2005). This was a fun remake. It could also be known as Bad Santa: The Off Season. Billy Bob is perfect for this type of role.
- Cowboy Bebop Remix. The remastered editions continue to arrive on shelves. This is a perfect way to become introduced to the world of anime.
- Death Race 2000: Special Edition. I always loved this old Corman film. Stallone and Carradine racing across the country, killing all in site. Score!
- Godzilla: Final Wars. The final Godzilla film, supposedly. Directed by Ryuhei Kitamura, this has nor reviewed well, but I can’t wait to see it.
- The Island. Possibly my favorite Bay film. Feels like two films in 1. It works reasonably well, despite being so similar to Clonus.
- King Kong: Peter Jackson’s Production Diaries. I am debating whether I want this. I have read that it is a very good set, giving some insight to the massive production.
- The Producers: Deluxe Edition. Mel Brooks’ debut film. I have not seen it, but plan on it. Plus the new film version looks great.
- The Simpsons: The Complete Seventh Season. Available in Marge head packing, or a more traditional box.
- Valiant. This is just here to warn you off. You would do better to wait for Chicken Little.
- Yukikaze: Part 2. I really liked part 1.
That is all for this week!Powered by Sidelines