This Halloween is not offering up much in the way of killer releases. I can't say anything looks like an absolute must have, but every week offers up something that will be worth looking into. I was a little hesitant about selecting this week's pick, but I have ended up probably going against better judgment with my choice.
This week's pick is the Umberto Lenzi directed gutmuncher Cannibal Ferox. I was hesitant in making this choice based on my decidedly negative reaction to Cannibal Holocaust. That film severely messed up my head for a week or so. That is one seriously disturbing movie, and quite possibly the most disturbing thing I have ever seen on film. It is that experience that caused me to pause when selecting this week's pick. It is interesting, for some reason I am drawn to other, similar films despite the negative effect they may have on me.
Cannibal Ferox's director, Umberto Lenzi, was one of those responsible for the rise of the Italian cannibal film when he released Man from Deep River. That was nine years prior to this film, which is considered a close relative, although inferior, to Cannibal Holocaust. The two films have similar plots featuring anthropologists traveling into the Amazon in search of cannibals. Ferox has them meet up with unscrupulous drug dealers who are having some problems with the local cannibal tribe.
I have read this film, again like Holocaust, features actual animal deaths. This is something that gives me strong pause before actually watching it. Unfortunately, this does not seem to be an uncommon practice in these films. Why? I may never know. This is being released by the same company responsible for releasing Holocaust, Grindhouse. They are advertising it as the complete uncut version of the film with a plethora of extras.
Also out this week:
- It's a Wonderful Life: 60th Anniversary Edition. This re-release looks attractive, as I do not have a copy of this Jimmy Stewart classic.
- Ghost Whisperer: The Complete First Season. This was a surprisingly good family friendly show. I didn't watch it was religiously, but it was one that was an enjoyable diversion as a nice switch from the usual scary ghost stories.
- Tales from the Crypt: The Complete Fifth Season. The classic HBO series is always good for a twisted story or three.
- Satriani Live! One of the best of the guitar world in the live setting; a match made in heaven.
- Gorillaz Phase Two: Slowboat to Hades. A collection of videos, animatics, and other footage of the animated hit makers. This will be a fun watch; the people behind the toons have made some highly addictive music.
- Heartstopper. Don't know much about this other than it stars horror icon Robert Englund.
- Parts: The Clonus Horror. This was remade (not really, but a lawsuit believed it was) as The Island. Seriously, the plots of the two films are nearly identical. Clonus isn't too bad either.
- Future-Kill. Looking for something to watch when you can't get a hold of The Warriors? This is it. It isn't terribly good, but it has great cover art from HR Giger.
- I Drink Your Blood. Another notorious film from the early days of gore. A film that was only recently released in a version that matched the director's vision. This is for you if you want some satanic hippies with a penchant for plasma.
What are you getting this week?