This week’s pick was the quickest choice I’ve made for sometime. This week’s pick is a must have, it is Kung Fu Hustle. This is one of the funniest movies I’ve seen this year. It is also the highest grossing film in China, winning numerous awards. It may not be to everyone’s tastes, but I guarantee that you haven’t seen anything quite like it.
It is actor/director Stephen Chow’s follow up to, the also hilarious, Shaolin Soccer. This newer films plays as a spoof of the gangster film, pitting rival gangs against each other, and setting up a turf war in a poor apartment building. The problem is, the tenants fight back. What follows is one of the funniest slapstick films of recent memory. It plays like a live action looney toons cartoon. Don’t miss it!
Also out this week:
- The Eye 2. The Pang Brothers follow up to a very creepy film from the new wave of Japanese horror. I have heard mixed word on this follow up, but I am willing to check it out.
- Gantz Vol. 7: Fatal Attractions. This has been a surreal, violent, death game, that keeps the bizarre coming.
- Look at Me. French comedy/drama that has interesting characters, but the story isn’t compelling enough, may be a decent rental.
- Memories of Murder. Korean film about the country’s first serial killer. This has gotta be entertaining.
- The Muppet Show: Season 1. Now who doesn’t love the Muppet’s?
- Off the Map. This was an interesting, low key drama about a family living off the map, and the IRS agent who falls for the life.
- Thundercats: Season 1 Volume 1. I loved this back in the 80’s, wonder if it still holds up after all these years.
- TJ Hooker: The Complete 1st and 2nd Seasons. How can you go wrong with William Shatner and Heather Locklear?
Visit me at Draven99’s Musings.Powered by Sidelines