There are a lot of decent titles coming out this week, but none that really jumped out at me. There are some television seasons, new cuts of recent films, direct to video sequels, and more. I finally decided on this week’s pick. The winner is Rescue Me: The Complete First Season.
This series caught me by surprise when it came out last summer. I still had memories of how Dennis Leary’s previous series, The Job, had gotten jerked around despite it’s high quality. This show, as I understand it, is a labor of love for Leary who has many friends who are firefighters, some of whom he lost in the tragedy of 9/11. The series is fantastic, and shares some of the cast of that prior show, which was about NYC police officers. Leary plays Tommy Gavin, a seriously flawed individual, a very good firefighter, but he is also a drunk who is separated from his wife, not to mention he lives across the street from her. Gavin also has a problem with seeing dead people, those he couldn’t save, but in particular, his brother, who had also been a firefighter.
The show has a great blend of high drama and comedy and is definitely not to be missed. Season 2 is about to start, so now is the perfect time to jump on.
Other titles to be aware of:
- Be Cool. The mediocre sequel to Get Shorty. There are a bunch of funny moments, but this is better off as a rental.
- Beyond the Sea. Kevin Spacey channeling Bobby Darin. I have heard good things, but haven’t seen it.
- Debs. Some sort of Charlie’s Angels type film, I think….
- Gantz: Process of Elimination Vol. 5. A bizarre and graphic anime series, I like it a lot.
- Hellraiser: Deader. The series has been sliding of late, could this one be the one to drag it out of it’s slump?
- Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman – The Complete First Season. I haven’t seen this in years, not sure if I’ll still like it.
- The Prophecy: Uprising. The first film was great, but I haven’t liked the sequels I’ve seen so far.
- Seed of Chucky. A bizarre concoction of horror and satire. Works as a companion to the superior Bride of Chucky.
- Sling Blade: Director’s Cut. This was a great film, not sure what another cut could add to it, but probably well worth checking out.
- Stripes: Extended Cut. I have never seen this movie, this will be my first introduction to it.
- The X-Files Mythology, Vol. 1: Abduction. Not a bad idea collection some like-minded episodes together.
- Coyote Ugly: Unrated Special Edition. Is this really necessary?
- The Dead Zone: The Complete Third Season. The first season was a mixed bag, but it has gotten better ever since.
- Father of the Pride: The Complete Series. Short lived animated series about a lion family in the zoo.
- Gone in 60 Seconds: Director’s Cut. See Coyote Ugly, above.
- Spider-Man: The Venom Saga. An excellent animated series, I wish they would release season sets.
- Star Trek: Insurrection: Special Collector’s Edition. Mediocre entry in this long running series.
- Stargate: Atlantis – Rising. The pilot episode released on it’s own. I think I will wait for the eventual season set.
- Tears of the Sun: Director’s Extended Cut. See Gone in 60 Seconds, above.
That does it for this week.
Visit me at Draven99’s Musings.Powered by Sidelines