As of Tuesday, the national Do Not Call Registry is in full effect but
the calls aren’t going to stop.
1. Political organizations, charities and telephone poll takers are
2. If you create a business relationship with a company (place an order)
they can call for up to 18 months.
3. If you ask a company for information, they can call for up to three
4. Some sweepstakes, rebates and give-aways
now require you to sign away your do-not-call rights to enter.
What to do:
A. Don’t go for any offers with waivers (check the fine
B.Don’t give out your phone number unless you can be put on the company’s
C. When telemarketers call ask them to put you on their internal
do-not-call list – even the exempt entities are required to honor your
If they do call again anyhow:
* Get the name of the company and/or the caller’s phone number.Telemarketers
are aware that they can be fined up to $11,000 for each call that violates
the new DNC rules so you may have to play along with the caller until you
get the information.
* Call the FTC at (888) 382-1222 or go to http://donotcall.gov.
Provide the calling company’s name or the number you were called from.
The FTC appears to be serious about enforcement
so it’s worth the effort.