Today on Blogcritics
Home » Culture and Society » Cutcliffe Turns Down Tennessee Job

Cutcliffe Turns Down Tennessee Job

Please Share...Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Share on LinkedIn0Pin on Pinterest0Share on TumblrShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Reddit0Email this to someone

A report in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Friday morning stated that Cutcliffe would remain head coach at Duke.

In a statement issued, Cutcliffe acknowledged his ties to Tennessee and the SEC but said Duke is where he wants remain as coach.

"After much thought and consideration, Karen and I reached the decision that Duke is the place for our family," Cutcliffe said in a statement released through the university, adding "we have the best coaching staff in the country, and are convinced that we will continue to build a successful football program that both the Duke and Durham communities will be proud of."

Numerous reports surfaced late yesterday that David Cutcliffe was expected to be named Lane Kiffin's successor at Tennessee. Kiffin left earlier in the week to take the job Pete Carroll left at Southern California when Carroll joined the NFL's Seattle Seahawks.

Cutcliffe, 55, served as Vols offensive coordinator on two separate occasions, leaving in 1998 to become head coach of Ole Miss. He returned to coach the offense from 2006-07 before heading to Duke. He is 9-15 in two seasons with the Duke Blue Devils. His overall record head coaching record is 53-44.

Rumors were rampant concerning the coaching vacancy on Thursday. Both Texas defensive coordinator/coach-in-waiting Will Muschamp and Air Force head coach Troy Calhoun publicly turned down the job.

ESPN's Chris Low posted on his blog Friday that Louisiana Tech's Derek Dooley also is on Tennessee's list, as is Temple coach Al Golden.

Kippy Brown, in his third stint at Tennessee, is the Vols' interim coach. Brown on Wednesday said he's been told that he also would be considered for the permanent head-coaching job.

Powered by

About J. Newcastle