I imagine that scholars and historians will look back on the first decade of the 21st century as a dark period in American history.
- The most divisive presidential inauguration in memory
- The 9/11 terrorist attacks
- War in Afghanistan
- The Washington, D.C. sniper
- A space shuttle disaster
- War in Iraq
- Continuing economic recession
- Sexual scandal in the Catholic church
- Religious warfare
- The threat of nuclear proliferation from Iran and North Korea
- The second most divisive presidential inauguration in memory
- Seemingly unhealable political rifts
- Soaringly high gas prices
- Hurricane after hurricane after hurricane in Florida
- And now, the worst natural disaster ever to strike America
And that's not even taking into account the horrors going on in other countries.
This isn't intended as a political diatribe, or to be partisan in any way. I simply can't imagine that anyone can look at this list and think, "what a nice time to be alive!"