I have a new set of things to worry about as a home owner. One of them is quite pleasant: How shall I redecorate?
My condo is not new, so I have to be careful of old-school carcinogenic building materials. Which are probably lodged in the popcorn covering that is blighting my ceiling.
I want to take it off! One of the guys at work (who also told me how to replace a toilet) told me it's really easy: just spray it with water and scrape it off.
"But what about asbestos?" I asked.
"Psh! You don't need to worry about that."
But I do worry. I had to research it.
Know what I found out?
He was right!
The EPA and OSHA basically say that if you keep it sufficiently wet, asbestos-containing materials cannot become airborne, so they can't be breathed in and give you asbestosis, which is basically asbestos induced lung cancer.
They don't even say you have to wear a mask; just make sure the material is sufficiently wet.
I'm gonna have to pick the color to paint the ceiling now.