Highlights of the interview include:
– Music that is popular on KaZaa differs from the SoundScan data
– Billboard popularity charts also don’t match KaZaa.
– New releases that are heavily traded on KaZaa become best sellers
– Lots of narrowband subscribers trade files.
– Broadband subscribers are even more active
– File trading of movies is growing
More on BigChampagne:
- BigChampagne is the leading provider of information about popular entertainment online. Our focus is on the world’s most popular “download” communities, file sharing networks. These are the download “sites” (actually networks) first made famous by Napster and now including clients like Limewire, Bearshare, KaZaA, Morpheus, and hundreds of others.
BigChampagne was founded in 2000 as a technology-driven market research and marketing consulting firm, specializing in peer-to-peer (P2P) technology. The “TopSwaps” chart services were introduced early in 2002.