It’s my favorite part of the week as I once again demonstrate how in touch I am with the youth of America and examine the singles and albums topping the charts at the iTunes Music Store.
I’m not a Sara Bareilles fan but I’m glad to see her album topping the charts because if she keeps it up long enough, I’ll finally learn to spell her last name. She had a big hit her last time out and that has carried over to big first week sales of her new record. I’ve not gone out and checked the reviews of the record so I can’t comment on critical response but this is a strong commercial opening for her.
We have more new entries in the albums chart, as Ray LaMontagne is finally pushed from the lower reaches and records from Stone Sour, Interpol, Anberlin, and the Camp Rock 2 soundtrack occupy those places. Disturbed’s Asylum trails Bareilles and Eminem’s Recovery.
As for the singles, I’m betting Ke$ha’s “Take It Off” is about exactly what I think it is. Kiss had a song of the same title. If you’re curious, the Kiss song was not a covert Vietnam protest song. It was about strippers. These are just the random thoughts that go through my head. I apologize for getting sidetracked. The #1 single is from Bruno Mars and it’s “Just The way You Are.” Billy Joel had a hit with a song of that name. I liked Joel’s better but this BM song seems cute enough.
iTunes’ top 10 selling singles and albums of the week ending Sept. 13, 2010:
- “Just the Way You Are” – Bruno Mars
- “Teenage Dream” – Katy Perry
- “Just a Dream” – Nelly
- “Dynamite” – Taio Cruz
- “Lose Yourself” – Eminem
- “I Like It” – Enrique Iglesias
- “DJ Got Us Fallin’ In Love” – Usher
- “Club Can’t Handle Me (feat. David Guetta)(From “Step Up 3D”)” – Flo Rida
- “Take It Off” – Ke$ha
- “Magic (feat. Rivers Cuomo)” – B.o.B
- Kaleidoscope Heart – Sara Bareilles
- Recovery – Eminem
- Asylum – Disturbed
- Teenage Dream – Katy Perry
- Sigh No More – Mumford & Sons
- To All My Friends – Blood Makes the Blade Holy — The Atmosphere
- Interpol – Interpol
- Audio Secrecy – Stone Sour
- Dark Is the Way – Light Is a Place – Anberlin
- Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam (Soundtrack from the Motion Picture) – Various Artists