Well, Mr. & Mrs. Smith exceeded all expectations to lead the box office this week, grabbing more than $50 million dollars. I admit, I added to the pile of that film, and had a blast doing it. The film goes far in proving the star power that Pitt and Jolie have obtained.
Despite the opposition obliteration of the top film, the box office continued it’s slump into a fifteenth week. I am surprised that it has lasted this long with the strength the Episode III displayed when it opened and the opening of the Smiths.
Madagascar showed some legs finishing second with over $17 million, just ahead of Episode III which finished at $14.8 million. High Tension rounds out the top ten with a disappointing opening.
Perhaps Batman Begins can break the slump?
Here are the top ten films for the weekend:
- Mr. and Mrs. Smith $50,342,878
- Madagascar $17,180,801
- Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith $14,851,474
- The Longest Yard $13,878,482
- The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl (3D) $12,582,088
- Cinderella Man $9,728,955
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants $5,711,420
- The Honeymooners $5,538,835
- Monster-in-Law $2,624,376
- High Tension $1,897,705
Figures courtesy of www.BoxOfficeMojo.com
Visit me at Draven99’s Musings.Powered by Sidelines