PW, my site engineer and partner, take a big, big, bow, 'cause bookofjoe's standing up here screaming your name and whistling and clapping. U R DA BOM.
Re: where bookofjoe might improve according to the Nielsen criteria:
1) I don't have a tag line currently. Suitable ones might be
USA Today - XXX Rated
Food, Fucking, Folks, Fashion, Fun
Information Sickness: here's where you get well
My site engineer, PW, and I were chatting on the phone last night (we talk every couple months, the rest of our communications being via email), and I mentioned to him that it might be fun to take the USA Today logo and put 3 red Xs across it, then put it up under "bookofjoe" in the upper left hand corner of my homepage and see how long it took 'till a cease-and-desist letter arrived from USA Today.
The publicity I'd get if this made the news might just be the tipping point to put me on the internet map big-time. Don't be surprised if you see it something like this up there one day. You know how much I love to cause trouble.
2) Nielsen says the search function should be at the very top of the homepage: you'll note mine is down a ways. PW and I will discuss this.
3) Link colors should show visited and unvisited sites. Neilsen recommends blue for unvisited links, and a clearly discernible and less saturated color for visited links. This I don't do, and should.
4) The search box should have space for at least 25 characters, preferably 30 - mine allows only 10.
5) The url should be bookofjoe.com. PW and I know this, and have been working to drop the typepad from the current URL - bookofjoe.typepad.com - for over a month, without success. The reasons are boring, but have to do with the unbelievably fucked-up nature of the internet when it comes to clerical and technical, behind-the-scenes stuff like this. It will happen.
6) Dates and times. Nielsen says that if you have international visitors - and you number about 25% of my readers at present, with the percentage rising to over 50% between midnight and 8 am my (U.S. Eastern Standard) time - it's imperative to put the time zone in after any post's time, along with GMT.