Whether you own a small, medium or large business, according to a new book, Customer CEO How to Profit from the Power of Your Customers by Chuck Wall, the customer has become the new CEO. Wall writes, “Welcome to the age of the customer CEO. Whether you like it or not, the Customer CEO has the power to hire you or fire you in the blink of an eye.”
Wall starts by detailing how companies in the past ignored the customer. Today, with the availability of big data and research, companies can achieve success by stopping, looking and listening to their customers.
With a historical perspective, the author writes about how businesses have progressed through three marketing eras including:
• Production era – where a good product could sell itself
• Sales era – driven by creative advertising
• Social era – customers rely more on the recommendations of their friends
Wall uses case studies of almost 36 companies to prove his suggestion that the customer is the new CEO.
Wall introduces the reader to several applicable concepts to support his premise. The first is the four spinning plates including the new economy, new technology, new competition and new customers. Others include:
• The new order of things – where companies ask the questions needed to understand both current and future customers
• Formula to move forward – customer power + active engagement = transformative profit
• The 9 powers including the power of me, of value, of performance, of the heart, of simple, of yes, of platform, of rebellion and of purpose.
• Customer CEO manifesto – customers are the greatest assets of a company
• Tips for transitioning to a business that treats their customers as CEOs
Wall uses his book to provide a framework for companies to think in a different way about their customers. The powers are highly and easily applicable to any type or size of company. This is a great book that’s well written with a clear message of survival in today’s customer-driven business environment.Powered by Sidelines