Pinetop Perkins and Willie “Big Eyes” Smith were only temporarily displaced from the #1 slot at blues radio and the Blues Power Rankings. They return, still ‘Joined At The Hip,‘ to the top spot this week, followed by Have Blues, Will Travel from Smokin’ Joe Kubek and Bnois King (my review of that album should be up this week; it’s in progress as we speak). Last week’s #1, Name The Day! from John Nemeth falls to #3. He’s followed by Janiva Magness’ The Devil Is An Angel, Too and Magic Slim & The Teardrops’ Raising The Bar.
The latest from veteran Elvin Bishop, Red Dog Speaks, has found a place in the Top 10 and Travis ‘Moonchild’ Haddix’s A Dozen Times debuts in the Top 10. I don’t have either of these yet so I’m going to have to get them soon and give them both a listen.
Recent favorites from Anders Osbourne, Bettye LaVette, Peter Karp & Sue Foley, Nick Moss, and Moreland & Arbuckle continue to command spins at radio as do even newer titles like Otis Taylor’s Clovis People Vol. 3, Tim Woods’ Blues Sessions, Mississippi’ Heat’s Let’s Live It Up, and Mitch Woods’ Gumbo Blues.
I’m also happy to report I got my copy of Karen Lovely’s Still The Rain and if things go according to plan, I’ll be reviewing it when I finish with Smokin’ Joe & Bnois King. I’ve listened to it a couple times since getting it this week and have jotted down some notes, so I’m hoping to have that up soon. I really need to stop “writing checks” and get back to writing reviews.
Here is this week’s Blues Power Rankings, the hottest albums at blues radio this week, presented for your dancing and dining pleasure courtesy of RootsMusicReport.
- Pinetop Perkins / Willie ‘Big Eyes’ Smith – Joined At The Hip
- Smokin’ Joe Kubek & Bnois King – Have Blues, Will Travel
- John Nemeth – Name The Day!
- Janiva Magness – The Devil Is An Angel, Too
- Magic Slim & The Teardrops – Raising The Bar
- Elvin Bishop – Red Dog Speaks
- Anders Osborne – American Patchwork
- Travis ‘Moonchild’ Haddix – A Dozen Times
- Bettye LaVette – Interpretations – The British Rock Songbook
- Les Copeland – Don’t Let The Devil In
- Tim Woods – The Blues Sessions
- Mississippi Heat – Let’s Live It Up
- Peter Karp / Sue Foley – He Said She Said
- Otis Taylor – Clovis People, Vol. 3
- Delaney & Bonnie & Friends – On Tour With Eric Clapton (Deluxe Edition)
- Mitch Woods – Gumbo Blues
- Walter Trout – Common Ground
- Karen Lovely – Still The Rain
- Moreland & Arbuckle – Flood
- The Derek Trucks Band – Roadsongs
- Clothesline Revival – They Came From Somewhere
- Mark Hummel – Retro-Active
- Kirk Fletcher – My Turn
- Nick Moss – Privileged
- Cyril Neville – The Essential Cyril Neville