Readers and editors worked together to come up with these fine lists of all that epitomizes the best of television over the last year. I think each selection is valid in its own right and dispute none of the nominations.
Perhaps the strangest part of the whole nominating process is that I wasn’t the first to suggest Craig Ferguson in any category. I think that shows great restraint on my part. Fortunately, someone else stepped up to the plate and made sure his name appeared on the list at least once.
[ADBLOCKHERE]Actually, there are so many wonderful shows on TV anymore, so many great moments, and such talent, we’re lucky we can pull ourselves away from the glowing box long enough to check out what’s online! Many thanks to all who participated. Your input was invaluable!
So, without further ado, here are the nominations for the Best of Television 2005:
Best TV Show Nominees:
- Rescue Me (FX)
- Surface (NBC)
- West Wing (NBC)
- The Wire (HBO)
- Six Feet Under (HBO)
- My Name is Earl (NBC)
- Criminal Minds (CBS)
- Battlestar Galactica (Sci-Fi Channel)
- The Shield (FX)
- Monk (USA)
- Lost (ABC)
- Boston Legal (ABC)
- The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (CBS)
Best TV Personality Nominees:
- Geena Davis as President MacKenzie Allen on Commander-in-Chief (ABC)
- Baby sea monster Nim from Surface (NBC)
- Terry O’Quinn as John Locke on Lost (ABC)
- Danny Bonaduce of Breaking Bonaduce (VH1)
- Larry David of Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO)
- Craig Ferguson of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (CBS)
- Crab Man from My Name is Earl (NBC)
- Stewie Griffin of The Family Guy (Fox)
- Stephen Colbert of The Colbert Report (Comedy Central)
- Tony Shaloub as Monk (USA)
- Tyra Banks of Tyra and America’s Next Top Model (various stations)
Best Moment on Television:
- David Letterman and Oprah Winfrey sit and chat on The Late Show with David Letterman(CBS)
- The scene from Surface when an enormous sea monster emerges from the bathysphere to eat a ship (NBC)
- The opening of the hatch on Lost (ABC)
- Coverage of Hurricane Katrina (multiple stations)
- The return of The Family Guy after its long hiatus (FOX)
- James Spader’s acceptance speech at the 2005 Emmy Awards (CBS)
- Craig Ferguson and Sharon Stone openly flirting on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (which led to dinner and speculation in the press) (CBS)
- Joy and Crab Man’s wedding on My Name is Earl when Joy gets hit in the face with a soccer ball. (NBC)
- Tyra Banks’ final walk down the runway on the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show (CBS)
Step on up to the “ballot box” in the comments below and register your votes based on the lists above.
I have to run. It’s prime time and I have to set up the VCR so I don’t miss a minute of my shows.
By the way, anyone who chips in for my new TV gets two or three votes.