My kids are pretty adventurous eaters. From wild boar to sushi, they’re ready and willing. But if you ask them what their favorite dish is, like most American kids, they’ll tell you that they love chicken nuggets, especially from McDonalds.
I’ll indulge their requests for the Golden Arches when we’re on the road, but when we’re at home, I prefer to make a healthier version of chicken nuggets. These homemade baked chicken nuggets are crunchy on the outside and very tasty thanks to a little parmesan added to the crumb. They wouldn’t fool the kids in a blind taste test with a Happy Meal, but they’re still greeted with smiles at dinnertime. I like to serve them with apricot or peach jam.
Homemade Baked Chicken Nuggets
2/3 cup Bisquick
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
2 eggs, beaten
3 Tablespoons of butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahenheit. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place Bisquick, Parmesan, and melted butter in a food processor. Pulse 3-4 times until you have a coarse meal. Pour into a shallow bowl.
- Dip each chicken strip first in the egg mixture, then in the Bisquick parmesan mixture. Lay each coated strip on the cookie sheet.
- Bake the chicken strips until brown and crispy, about 15 to 20 minutes, flipping over halfway through to brown evenly.
- Serve with Ketchup, barbecue sauce, or apricot jam.
Powered by Sidelines