Can the moment a couple gets married impact the rest of their relationship? According to Electional Astrology it can. This is a specialized field which calculates the best time for an event so that the chances of success are optimized. Every event has a birth time, and a chart can be drawn up for the precise moment it starts. The date and time of a wedding may not blow apart a strong relationship (or bolster a weak one) but it can certainly color the marriage.
I’m going to use the Royal Wedding between Prince William and Kate Middleton as an example. But first, let me outline a few core rules of Wedding Electional Astrology. First, traditional planetary ruler-ships are used. Saturn rules Aquarius and Capricorn, Jupiter rules Sagittarius and Pisces, and Mars rules Scorpio and Aries. Second, although each couple has different needs regarding their marriage, there are a few conditions that are considered must-haves in Wedding Charts.
• A fixed Rising Sign (Taurus, Leo, Aquarius or Scorpio in the 1st House) – the rising sign rules the marriage and fixed means long term
• A positive aspect between the rulers of the 1st (Rising Sign) and 7th Houses – the ruler of the marriage as a whole and the partnership (7th House) area must be harmonious
• A positive aspect between Venus and Mars – this one is obvious…love and sex, female and male
• The Sun (the purpose of the marriage) is in a strong position (the 1st, 4th, 7th or 10th Houses) – these are angular houses and magnify any planet that occupies them
• The difficult planets (Saturn and Mars) are not in angular houses –an emphasized Saturn (restrictions) or Mars (conflict) are not energies that most people want dominant in their marriage
• The Moon is not Void of Course – if the Moon (emotional heart of the marriage) makes no aspect to any planet before it enters the next sign then it indicates that nothing will happen. The event is voided, so to speak.
Fixed Rising Sign
The wedding occurred on April 29th at 11:00 AM. The Rising Sign is in Royal Leo, a fixed sign. Check. Leo rising means the ruler of the marriage is the Sun. It is in the fixed sign (again!) of Taurus ruled by Venus, the planet of love. Bonus.
Rulers of the 1st and 7th Houses in Aspect
Aquarius is in the 7th House which makes Saturn its ruler. Do we have an aspect between the Sun (ruler of the 1st House) and Saturn? No. The Sun is in Taurus and Saturn is in Libra. Both signs are ruled by Venus which gives them some common ground, but an actual aspect (trine, sextile, or conjunction) would have been stronger. This could indicate a lack of cooperation within the relationship. The sense of partnership could be missing (see the following paragraph).
The Sun is in the angular 10th House of authority, tradition, and public position. Great! But Saturn, one of our difficult planets, is also emphasized in the angular 4th House of family. This could mean a disconnect between public image and restrictions at home. Saturn in the 4th often describes enforced separations because of work and austere circumstances. Duty first, family second. Mars, the second of our difficult planets, is also in the angular 10th House. An elevated Mars (full force in the sign that it rules) could indicate public conflicts. However, Jupiter, the planet of luck and abundance, is sitting right next to it, which should keep things from getting too nasty. On a side note, Jupiter conjunct Mars was illustrated perfectly by the military displays on the wedding day.
Venus and Mars
Venus and Mars are both in the same sign (Aries) so that counts as a conjunction. There is unity between them. This marriage should not be short on passion, possibly fueled by arguments in hot-tempered Aries.
Let’s have a look at that Moon. At 26 degrees Pisces, the Moon will not touch any planets before it enters Aries so it is Void of Course. Does this mean the marriage will dissolve? Not necessarily, but it does suggest that the emotional heart of this union could be “void.” It could also mean that nothing will change from the way things are right now (the couple has been together for quite a few years after all). Whatever happens, it will be hidden from public view as Pisces is a misty sign, full of illusion.